UK Unmarried Partner visa:

In today’s day and age, many couples who are in a genuine and subsisting relationship may not yet be married or for various other personal reasons may not wish to register their marriage. The ‘Unmarried Partner’ visa route is specifically for these couples. This unmarried partner visa is also known as the UK defacto visa. We understand that unmarried partner visa applications can be complex and using the services of an immigration expert are highly recommended. We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our clients’ needs. You will need to ensure that you meet all of the mandatory requirements before you apply. You will need to complete the relevant forms and collate your evidence for submission. This will need to be extensive and prove that your relationship is genuine.

Unmarried partner visa application requirements:

To qualify for a UK unmarried partner visa, you must satisfy the following UK Visas and Immigration requirements:

  • Aged 18 years or over
  • Have been living together for the past 2 years and able to evidence cohabitation with a British citizen or UK settled person or a person with refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • You are able to provide proof of cohabitation covering the 2 years such as utility bills, bank statements, photographs, tenancy agreements etc.
  • You are in a genuine and subsisting relationship with your sponsor partner
  • Intend to live together permanently in the UK with your partner
  • Your partner can provide specified evidence of a specified gross annual income of at least—£18,600 and have suitable accommodation
  • That you meet the English Language requirement

Does two- year cohabitation need to cover the two years immediately before the application:

The two-year period of living together for a couple who are not married or in a civil partnership must have been completed prior to the date of application. However, the two-year period does not have to have been completed immediately preceding the date of application if, for example, the couple are currently living apart for work reasons in order to meet the financial requirements of the Rules, provided that the relationship continues to be genuine and subsisting at the date of application.

Unmarried partner visa:

  • You can submit an application from outside or within the United Kingdom depending on your circumstances.

How can you meet financial requirements for the unmarried partner visa:

The minimum income of £18,600 before tax is required to meet the unmarried partner visa financial requirement if there are no dependent children. If you have one dependent child, you will need an income of £22,400 before tax to meet the financial requirement. For any other children, the sponsor will need an extra £2,400 for each subsequent child. You and your partner can use:

  • Salaried or non-salaried income from employment before tax
  • Income from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK
  • Cash savings above £16,000
  • Money from a pension
  • Non-work income, for example from property rentals or dividends

Can you use income from benefits to meet unmarried partner visa financial requirement?

Where your partner is in receipt of any of the following benefits or allowances in the UK, you will be able to meet the financial requirement by providing evidence of “adequate maintenance” rather than meeting an income threshold:

  • Career’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment
  • Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension
  • Police Injury Pension

Can you switch to unmarried partner visa:

If you have already joined your partner in the UK, you may apply to switch to unmarried partner visa from a different immigration category. You will not be allowed to switch categories if you are here as a visitor on temporary admission if permission to stay was given for a period of less than 6 months (unless that leave was specifically as a fiancée or proposed civil partner on the relevant visa), or you are in breach of the Immigration Rules (a period of overstaying of less than 28 days will not be taken into account).

Duration and conditions of unmarried partner visa:

If the you meet the requirements you will be granted unmarried partner visa a for a period not exceeding 33 months and subject to a condition of no recourse to public funds.  After a 5-year period you can apply for settlement, commonly known as Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK. Alternatively, if you are not able to meet the financial and English language requirement of the immigration rules then you may be eligible to apply under the less stringent 10-year route, although you will need to show insurmountable obstacles to family life with your partner continuing overseas.

Why Choose Aaryan Solicitors?

Expert Immigration team: Aaryan Solicitors has a team of expert UK immigration and family visa solicitors who can provide you legal advice and assistance with your UK Unmarried partner visa application. Headed by partner Vikramjit Singh, an acknowledged immigration law specialist and champion of those whose status here is challenged., we have a track record of successfully pushing through applications efficiently and cost-effectively. Contact us for case assessment, eligibility requirements and supporting documents.

Competitive Prices: We offer a competitive price service without compromising on our service. Our reputation outshines other, larger family law ​firms in London and across the country.

Priority and super priority visa service: Our Immigration Services include specialist 24-hour visa service with UKVI, Home Office, UK Passport Office or UKVCAS. We can prepare and submit your application to the UKVCAS service point by accompanying you and get a decision within 24 hours on your application by guiding you at each step from enrolment of your biometrics to liaising with the Home Office Immigration Caseworker in achieving the desired result in one day. We can arrange an appointment for earliest available date which will be within 6 weeks from the time you instruct us. We also provide assistance with the Home Office priority and super priority service to obtain a decision on your application in matter of few days for the applications submitted from outside the United Kingdom..

Flexible payment options: We understand that family law complications often arise without notice which could become difficult in present economic climate therefore we provide flexible payment options. You may pay the agreed fees in instalments each month benefiting your needs, which will be agreed in advance.

Excellent Success Rate: We believe in a result-oriented service and as a result, our success rate is high. We pride in our highest standard of service therefore most of our clients return to us for their other legal matters.

Out of office hour unique service: We provide clients focused service keeping in consideration busy working lifestyle therefore out of office telephone and/or in person appointments are available, subject to prior bookings, from 6.00 pm to 8.30 pm weekdays, and on weekends and bank holidays.

To apply for a unmarried visa, get in touch with Aaryan Solicitors for professional, no-obligation advice..
LAND LINE: 020 8004 5806
FAX: 020 7183 5101

    Enquiry Form